Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The patience gap

One of the surest ways to make money playing poker is by exploiting the patience gap. This is the gap between how patient you are and how much less patient the other players at your table are liable to be. The bigger the gap, the more likely you are to be able to mint money. All you have to do is wait for a premium hand, then bet it heavily. The impatience of your opponents won't allow all of them to fold, and you'll win some really nice pots.

This isn't exactly what happened on the biggest pot I won last night, but almost. I didn't exactly have a premium hand; in fact, all I had was a flopped top pair of kings. Somehow, though, I sensed the impatience of one of my opponents, and ended up going all in with my kings. He called, and turned over pocket tens. I won a pot worth $50,360, putting me solidly in the black. I decided to play a bit longer, but didn't gain any more ground.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 60 hands and saw flop:
 - 6 out of 8 times while in big blind (75%)
 - 4 out of 8 times while in small blind (50%)
 - 21 out of 44 times in other positions (47%)
 - a total of 31 out of 60 (51%)
 Pots won at showdown - 5 of 7 (71%)
 Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $10,299
balance: $4,543,066

No comments:

Post a Comment