Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pokernoia

The title of this post, a new coinage of mine, refers to a state of mind poker players sometimes fall into. I've been a victim of it myself. Pokernoia is the irrational belief that others at the table are in league with each other, in collusion against you. Last night, an opponent accused me of colluding with another opponent, just after he'd lost a huge pot to me. I had a #1, and instead of going all in with it, I contented myself with raising the minimum amount each time the action came back to me. The opponent I was accused of colluding with was doing the same thing. The pokernoiac was caught in between us. I ended up going all in, and won a pot worth $5,401. It really ticked me off to be accused of cheating; I told the accuser I was innocent, and that I didn't appreciate being accused. I don't think I got through to him, though. The problem with delusions like that is that nothing the accused says can convince the accuser of his innocence; in fact, protestations of innocence in these cases are often taken as confirmations of guilt. A better course of action would have been to remain silent; I'll try to remember that the next time this ugly situation comes up.

number of hands: 25
delta: $3,404
balance: $5,009,396

No comments:

Post a Comment