Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Keeping it under 60

Last night, I kept it under 60. That is, I saw the flop less than 60% of the time. As I've come to learn, that's a great way to lay the foundation for a successful session. How did I come to learn this? Observation. One of the most beautiful things about poker is that it rewards observation. If you have the ability to see things and remember them, you have a big leg up on your competition.

You can't have a seeing the flop percentage below 60 without being patient. Many players aren't that patient. They'll play marginal hands they shouldn't, and when those hands catch a piece of the flop, they're setting themselves up for a world of hurt. I know this, because I've done it myself. You might flop top pair, but have a shit kicker. If you'd had the patience to fold that hand before the flop, you wouldn't have to decide what to do about that shit kicker.

I'm religious about folding any hand containing an unpaired 2 or 3. I'm almost as religious about folding any hand with an unpaired 4 or 5; I'll generally only keep it if the other card is a king or an ace. With higher unpaired cards, it depends on how I feel, whether they're connectors, and how long it's been since I played a hand. If I have a pair, I'll very rarely fold it. If I have suited connectors, I'll very rarely fold them. If I can stay in the hand for a reasonable price, I don't often fold suited non-connectors. This is probably making my play sound too mechanical; it's actually not. These are the guidelines I go by, but I stray outside the lines when I want. There's definitely a lot of feel involved! For instance, last night I went to showdown with a pair, when I'd just sworn that I wouldn't do that. I won a pot worth $9,741 with a pair of aces. Why did I do that? I had a feeling my aces were good.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 43 hands and saw flop:
 - 5 out of 7 times while in big blind (71%)
 - 2 out of 6 times while in small blind (33%)
 - 18 out of 30 times in other positions (60%)
 - a total of 25 out of 43 (58%)
 Pots won at showdown - 4 of 6 (66%)
 Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $47,904
balance: $4,478,933

No comments:

Post a Comment