Saturday, July 14, 2012

Starting a table

Last night, I did something I'd never done before - I started a table. There were already two full no limit deuce tables going when I logged in to PokerStars, so I sat down at an empty table. As it turned out, the table I'd chosen was a pot limit one, not a no limit one, but I didn't notice right way. I only noticed the first time I tried to make a good-sized bet and found out that my bet size was capped :-) I didn't need to wait long for people to start joining my table, so I might do the same thing tonight.

The feature of the session which struck me was that I was really enjoying the cap on the betting; I realized I've been missing it. Pot limit was my first love, after all. My guess is that poker players who play well after the flop, as I do, prefer pot limit since it makes it much harder for donkeys to do well. They can't just shove in all their chips preflop (or before the first draw, when the game is deuce). They're literally forced to make decisions after the flop, which is a wonderful thing; they're sitting ducks for the players who know how to play after the flop. I'll seriously consider going back to pot limit when I get tired of deuce and return to hold'em.

I forgot to save the hands stats last night; the only one I know for sure is that I played 31 hands.

delta: $1,205
balance: 5,005,992

No comments:

Post a Comment