Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Staying true to my read

Last night, I hit the felt twice. Despite that fact, I don't think I played that badly. The largest amount I lost on any one hand was on hand 14, when I hit the felt the first time. I was dealt an ace three offsuit, and the flop came Qs Qc As. I was heads up with the big stack at the table, who bet $2,000. This player had been winning a lot of pots without a showdown, and my read was that he was trying to steal this one. His bet was representing that he had a queen, but it just didn't seem very likely to me that he had one. I called. The turn was the three of clubs. The big stack bet $9,200. This bet was consistent with either of two scenarios:

1. he had a queen, and was betting for value
2. he had air, and was continuing to represent a queen

Since each scenario fit his betting pattern, I stayed with my read and called. The river was the five of hearts. The big stack went all in, and I called. He turned over queen four suited, and just like that, I'd lost $30,228.

The thing is, I'm actually proud of the way I played this hand. I stayed true to my read, even though it was wrong. I firmly believe that this type of play will pay off for me in the long run, provided my reads are right slightly over half of the time.

Right now, I'm reading Doyle Brunson's "Super Systems 2" and enjoying it immensely.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 101 hands and saw flop:
 - 12 out of 14 times while in big blind (85%)
 - 14 out of 18 times while in small blind (77%)
 - 43 out of 69 times in other positions (62%)
 - a total of 69 out of 101 (68%)
 Pots won at showdown - 9 of 20 (45%)
 Pots won without showdown - 4

delta: $-80,000
balance: $4,858,055

No comments:

Post a Comment