Saturday, August 17, 2013

Par poker

In the U.S. Open golf tournament, par is a very good score indeed. The courses are designed to make it virtually impossible to get very far into the red numbers. Golfers are forced to take their medicine almost the whole way around. What do I mean by taking their medicine? Playing it safe instead of going for too much.

In poker, maintaining your stack near its original starting amount over a significant stretch of time is difficult to do. Let's call this feat par poker, for short. In order to achieve par poker, a player needs to take his medicine nearly every hand. Just as in golf, taking your medicine in poker means playing it safe instead of going for too much.

How can a golfer win when he's focusing on par golf? How can a poker player win when he's focusing on par poker? The answer to both questions is the same. Both the golfer and the poker player win by not playing it safe some small percentage of the time, probably no more than 5%. On those occasions, they can vault ahead of their competitors.

Last night, I played par poker for 74 hands. The biggest pot I'd won to that point was worth $7,640. When I won $18,100 on hand 75, I knew that was my sign to call it a night. By playing par poker, I put myself in position for one big hand to make my session a success.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 76 hands and saw flop:
 - 8 out of 10 times while in big blind (80%)
 - 4 out of 9 times while in small blind (44%)
 - 30 out of 57 times in other positions (52%)
 - a total of 42 out of 76 (55%)
 Pots won at showdown - 7 of 14 (50%)
 Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $11,731
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,744,414
balance: $7,101,367

No comments:

Post a Comment