Monday, August 12, 2013

Bad parabola

The bar chart of my stack size over the course of a session has taken many different shapes. Making its first appearance last night is what I call the bad parabola. That's when you start with small losses, but the losses grow bigger as the session continues. The funny thing about the bad parabola is that you feel like you're playing fine for over 90% of the session, and that may actually be true; however, the final 10% completes your descent, and you have to admit at the end that you were falling the whole time.

I actually won $21,400 on my very first hand of the night, and soon thereafter the table quit on me; it's a good thing it did, since that allowed me to consolidate that bit of profit. I hit the felt four times at the next table I joined. For the purposes of the bar chart, however, I'm just considering the first hand to be an outlier.

The last hand of the night illustrates just how cruel the poker gods can be. I was dealt Qs 9c, the flop came 9s Ks 9h, the turn was 3h, and the river was 8s. I started the hand with $9,400 and called a big river bet with my last $1,800. My trip nines lost to another trip nines who had a better kicker (an ace).

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 112 hands and saw flop:
 - 16 out of 19 times while in big blind (84%)
 - 10 out of 18 times while in small blind (55%)
 - 48 out of 75 times in other positions (64%)
 - a total of 74 out of 112 (66%)
 Pots won at showdown - 10 of 24 (41%)
 Pots won without showdown - 2

delta: $-59,400
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,766,425
balance: $7,123,378

No comments:

Post a Comment