Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Historic drubbing

Last night, something highly unusual happened - I hit the felt five times. That's never happened to me before. In part that's because I'm a good player and in part that's because when I'm playing badly, I usually have the good sense to quit when I hit the felt for a third time. Why didn't I quit this time? There are several reasons:

1. the maximum starting stake at the table was small ($2K)

2. since I'm new to deuce, I decided to treat hitting the felt as a necessary learning experience

3. I'd made the original mistake of joining a table which had some really big stacks, who were playing the bully effectively

4. I compounded this mistake by reupping at the same table every time, instead of joining a different table with players with smaller stacks

My theory that deuce is a back-loaded betting game is officially debunked. Tonight, I need to be much more choosy about which hands I decide to play. I think a good rule of thumb for playing deuce to the seven is to treat it as if "deuce to the eight" is your minimum requirement - that is, avoid going to showdown with hands where your high card is higher than an eight.

During current 2-7 Triple Draw session you were dealt 44 hands
Pots won if drawing - 6 of 30 (20%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 16 (31%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $-10,000
balance: $2,010,147

No comments:

Post a Comment