Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Checked river showdowns

Last night's session was almost a doppelsession of Sunday's. My showdown percentage wasn't as good, though. In the interest of padding my stats, I find myself inspired to create a category of showdown which can be ignored :-) I think checked river showdowns - that is, showdowns which are reached when every player who's still in a hand checks on the river - shouldn't be included in one's showdown percentage. Here's my reasoning: since it costs you no additional chips to reach a checked river showdown, it would be foolish to fold, since there's always a chance your hand will win or split the pot. There are really only two reasons to fold in such a situation:

1. you have a high degree of certainty that your hand will be beaten, and you don't want to let your opponents know what your hole cards were

2. you have a high degree of certainty that your hand will be beaten, and you don't want to mess up your showdown percentage

Creating the category of checked river showdowns, and not counting them in your showdown percentage, eliminates the second reason.

I lost 3 showdowns last night, but 2 of them were checked river showdowns, so I really only lost 1 :-) That bumps up my showdown percentage from a so-so 66% to a scintillating 86%!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 36 hands and saw flop:
- 5 out of 5 times while in big blind (100%)
- 4 out of 6 times while in small blind (66%)
- 21 out of 25 times in other positions (84%)
- a total of 30 out of 36 (83%)
Pots won at showdown - 6 of 9 (66%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $23,450
balance: $1,744,982

No comments:

Post a Comment