Thursday, August 25, 2011

The lastmin ratio

Tuesday night, I hit the felt quickly at the first table I joined, after only 16 hands. The table had shown a lot of willingness to gamble, so I decided to reup in place for the max. My newly replenished stack tumbled quickly to $20K, then kept falling, albeit at a slower pace, to $2K. This was obviously well below the Lazarus line, but I got the strangest feeling at that point. I felt that if I could just avoid hitting the felt, my fortunes would turn around, and I'd end up winning some big hands and come out on top for the night. Of course, your options are severely limited when your stack is only $2K; I needed some luck to avoid the felt. I got it on hand 59, when I was dealt a big slick, ended up going all in, and won a pot worth $9,900 with two pair, sevens and deuces. That gave me just the breathing room I needed. The rest of the session saw my stack trend upwards, culminating in a hand where I won a monster pot worth $141,800 with two pair, aces and tens. Afterwards, I checked the records and found it was the second biggest won pot of my poker career.

The lowest my stack descended after I reupped was to $1,900. When I quit the table, my stack was at $153,600. The bar chart of my stack size makes a remarkable picture. It inspired me to come up with a new poker statistic - what I call the lastmin ratio. The lastmin ratio is the ratio of the amount of your stack when you quit (or last, for short) to the amount of your stack at its lowest point (i.e. minimum, or min). My lastmin ratio last night was an astonishing 80.84! For comparison's sake, the highest lastmin ratio I'd achieved prior to last night was 28.68. Last night's recovery was truly Lazarus-like.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 130 hands and saw flop:
- 5 out of 15 times while in big blind (33%)
- 7 out of 17 times while in small blind (41%)
- 51 out of 98 times in other positions (52%)
- a total of 63 out of 130 (48%)
Pots won at showdown - 9 of 12 (75%)
Pots won without showdown - 2

delta: $73,600
balance: $1,969,132

No comments:

Post a Comment