Friday, March 1, 2013

The champagne quit signal

I've always thought being dealt a hammer (deuce seven offsuit) after winning a couple of hands in a row is an excellent quit signal. Last night I realized there's an even more powerful talisman - I hereby dub it the champagne quit signal. This is when you're dealt pocket rockets after winning two big hands in a row. Why on earth would this make a good, let alone excellent, let alone superlative, quit signal? For the simple reason that rockets are so hard to let go of. Any hand that's hard to let go of is also a hand which can lose you a bunch of chips in a hurry. Why risk losing chips when you've just had a chip infusion? You can fold aces with style and flair when you've just had a nice boost to your stack. To honor their prestige, you make them your last hand.

Unfortunately, though I received the signal, I didn't heed it. The two hands before the signal, I won pots worth $44K and $18K, respectively. On the signal hand, I stuck with my rockets, and lost $14K. Had I heeded the signal, I wouldn't have been at the table to play the later hand when my stack absorbed a huge hit of $45K. I promise to obey the signal the next time I get it!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 96 hands and saw flop:
 - 12 out of 17 times while in big blind (70%)
 - 11 out of 17 times while in small blind (64%)
 - 25 out of 62 times in other positions (40%)
 - a total of 48 out of 96 (50%)
 Pots won at showdown - 13 of 22 (59%)
 Pots won without showdown - 2

delta: $-29,223
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,314,461
balance: $6,763,869

No comments:

Post a Comment