Saturday, March 9, 2013

Punctuated equilibrium

You know you've been writing a blog for a long time when the most natural title for a new post turns out to be one you've used before. This is my third such in a row. Looking at the bar chart of my stack size over the course of last night's session, it's got punctuated equilibrium written all over it. On virtually every hand, one of three things happened:

1. nothing
2. I won a significant amount of chips
3. I lost a significant amount of chips

At one point, I'd doubled my starting stack amount. I should have quit then, but didn't. Why not? Because I was feeling invincible. That's a great feeling, but also a treacherous one. Time is the great equalizer in poker; the longer you play, the more things tend to even out. Whenever you manage to double your stack in a cash game, you should take the money and run.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 104 hands and saw flop:
 - 9 out of 12 times while in big blind (75%)
 - 8 out of 14 times while in small blind (57%)
 - 35 out of 78 times in other positions (44%)
 - a total of 52 out of 104 (50%)
 Pots won at showdown - 5 of 10 (50%)
 Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $-7,282
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,370,651
balance: $6,820,059

No comments:

Post a Comment