Saturday, March 17, 2012

Surviving a cooler

Coolers are hands which you have every expectation to win, but which you improbably lose. If you play long enough, coolers will happen to you, so you need to know how to survive them. Going on tilt is a classic response to a cooler, and obviously not the correct one.

The worst possible cooler I can think of is when one player has a straight flush, and loses to another player who has a better straight flush. Thankfully, that's never happened to me. The cooler that happened to me last night, on hand 19, was mild in comparison; my full house of nines full of deuces lost to a full house of kings full of deuces. My hole cards were a pair of nines, and the winner's hole cards were a pair of kings, so both hands were stealthful. My odds of winning after the turn were 42 to 2, but my opponent hit his two outer when a king popped on the river. Luckily for me, I'd started the hand with more chips than him, so I wasn't taken to the felt; after losing $26,500 on the hand, I still had a relatively healthy $15,600 in chips. I knew it would take a long slog to get back into the black, but also knew that if I were patient enough and caught some cards, I'd be able to do it.

The hand that did it for me was a set of sevens; I won a pot worth $22,320 with them, $11,660 of which was other people's money.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 154 hands and saw flop:
- 27 out of 35 times while in big blind (77%)
- 21 out of 31 times while in small blind (67%)
- 59 out of 88 times in other positions (67%)
- a total of 107 out of 154 (69%)
Pots won at showdown - 14 of 22 (63%)
Pots won without showdown - 17

delta: $9,326
balance: $3,584,339

No comments:

Post a Comment