Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Brake reflexes

To be a good driver, you need to have good brake reflexes; that is, in dangerous situations, your foot needs to be pressing down on the brake pedal almost before you've even realized you're in danger. Similarly, to be a good poker player, you need to be able to bring your betting to a screeching halt when the situation warrants it. In last night's session, I flopped a flush on hand 19, bet it big on the flop, smaller on the turn, and not at all on the river. I suddenly had a bad feeling that the one player who was calling me had a better flush, and it turned out I was right. I lost a lot of chips on the hand - $16,200 to be precise - but would have lost a lot more if my brake reflexes hadn't kicked in.

I just realized this is the second time in recent memory I've had a cooler on hand 19. It's coincidence, I know, but interesting. Later in the session, I had a cluster of won pots - 6 in 8 hands. I finally quit when I'd made a profit of half my starting stack amount.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 68 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 9 times while in big blind (88%)
- 6 out of 8 times while in small blind (75%)
- 37 out of 51 times in other positions (72%)
- a total of 51 out of 68 (75%)
Pots won at showdown - 7 of 10 (70%)
Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $20,500
balance: $3,686,139

No comments:

Post a Comment