Saturday, September 3, 2011

Standing pat considered harmful

On my first hand last night, I had a rough 8 after the first draw and decided to stand pat for the other two draws; I ending up losing to an 8 6. I'd gone all in, so I hit the felt on the very first hand; clearly an inauspicious start. When I decided to stand pat, something about actually doing it (as opposed to deciding to do it) felt wrong. I know what it was - in deuce, it's a waste not to use all your draws unless you have a truly superior hand. A rough eight is a good hand, but not a hand to stand pat on when you've only had one draw. I'm adding to my deuce rules of thumb as I go along. Here's what they are currently:

- never pay additional chips to go to showdown when your high card is a 9 or higher
- never stand pat on the first draw unless you were dealt a #1
- never stand pat on the second draw unless you have at least a smooth 8
- never stand pat on the third draw unless you have at least a rough 8

I hit the felt again on my fifth hand of the night. When I reupped again, I turned things around, went on a bit of a hot streak, and ended the night with a nice gain. I need to stop "spotting" myself two feltings at the start of each session; it's risky having to climb out of a hole every night.

During current 2-7 Triple Draw session you were dealt 33 hands
Pots won if drawing - 11 of 25 (44%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 9 (44%)
Pots won without showdown - 7

delta: $1,292
balance: $2,010,734

No comments:

Post a Comment