Monday, May 10, 2010

On tilt

I've been aware of the concept of a player going "on tilt" for some time, and knew what it meant by context. Today I decided to google it to make sure my understanding was correct; here's the top link I found (edited for typos):

[start]

http://poker.about.com/od/pokerglossary/g/tilt.htm

Definition: When poker players let their emotions cloud their poker judgment, it's called going "on tilt." Often, when a player suffers a bad beat or a losing streak, they will go "on tilt."

[end]

I realize that I went on tilt during Saturday night's session, but not in the way you might suspect. I didn't suffer any bad beats, and I wasn't angry or emotional. I was on what you might call a "greed tilt" -- I'd won a bunch of chips, but wasn't satisfied, and let my hunger for more cloud my poker judgment. At the session's peak, I'd parlayed my $40k initial stack into $73k; at the end, I'd lost almost everything I'd won. Live and learn!

delta: $1,050
balance: $608,703

No comments:

Post a Comment