Friday, May 28, 2010

Neo the Bruce

My inability thus far to put the $600k boundary permanently in my rear view mirror reminds me of the story of Robert the Bruce, which my mother told me when I was young. He was a Scottish king who tried and failed to defeat the English many times. The legend has it that while in hiding after one of his defeats, he observed a spider trying and failing many times to complete a difficult maneuver in the spinning of its web. The spider finally succeeded, and Robert the Bruce took inspiration from its perseverance. He came out of hiding to defeat the English.

My hope is that I will ultimately conquer this milestone which is giving me so much trouble. If I do, you can just call me Neo the Bruce :-) Last night I had a good session -- good enough to cross over to the high side of the boundary once again. This marks the 11th time I've crossed the boundary in either direction, the 6th time I've crossed it on the rise.

One feedback loop which my experience is starting to reinforce is that good things can happen when you fold. I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating: ideally, it should feel just as good to fold when you ought to fold as it feels to call when you ought to call.

Another thing I'm noticing is that I'm starting to recognize when other players are going on tilt. Since I've been guilty of that myself, I can empathize; that won't stop me from trying to relieve them of their chips, however!

delta: $41,600
balance: $624,544

No comments:

Post a Comment