Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fold percentage

One stat I'd never thought of calculating before, but which now occurs to me as an important one, is fold percentage. Your fold percentage has to be above a certain threshold in order for you to gain chips. If you're taking too many hands to showdown, you'll be spending too much to get there, since your showdown percentage necessarily will drop.

Pokerstars doesn't give you your fold percentage directly, but it can easily be calculated. Here are my stats from last night:

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 46 hands and saw flop:
- 5 out of 6 times while in big blind (83%)
- 5 out of 7 times while in small blind (71%)
- 25 out of 33 times in other positions (75%)
- a total of 35 out of 46 (76%)
Pots won at showdown - 6 of 11 (54%)
Pots won without showdown - 2

Since I didn't fold on 13 (11 + 2) hands, that means I folded on 33 (46 - 13) hands, for a fold percentage of 72. I'm going to just throw a number out there now, and see how it flies; I'm guessing that the minimum fold percentage should be 70%.

Last night, there were several times I was sorely tempted to call, but I did the right thing and folded instead. The ability to fold at those crucial moments allowed me to have a winning session.

delta: $21,700
balance: $571,203

No comments:

Post a Comment