Friday, May 4, 2012

The texture of the flop

In his two awesome books on tournament hold'em, Dan Harrington brings up the concept of the texture of the flop on several occasions. In a nutshell, the texture of the flop is an indicator of what kinds of hands your opponents may have hit, particularly hands that would be big favorites to beat yours. For example, it's never a good sign to see a pair in the flop, unless you happened to hit trips yourself. That's a bad texture, because the odds are excellent that one of your opponents hit trips or a two pair. I've seen players fold when there's a pair in the flop, even when no one has opened the betting; my guess is that they've been burned too many times in the past by this dangerous texture.

Last night, I hit the felt when I didn't give credence to a texture which made it possible that someone had hit an ace high straight on the flop; one contributing factor to my disbelief was that I'd hit a great hand myself, top two pair. You just don't expect someone else to have hit the flop harder when you've hit it so hard yourself. I wasn't discouraged, though; I reupped for the max, and ended the night with a profit when I won a monster pot worth $103,700 with three of a kind, kings. That's the first pot over $100,000 I've had in quite a while.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 70 hands and saw flop:
 - 7 out of 11 times while in big blind (63%)
 - 5 out of 10 times while in small blind (50%)
 - 25 out of 49 times in other positions (51%)
 - a total of 37 out of 70 (52%)
 Pots won at showdown - 3 of 6 (50%)
 Pots won without showdown - 7

delta: $23,500
balance: $4,233,916

No comments:

Post a Comment