Thursday, July 28, 2011

This Wednesday thing

Last night was a Wednesday night. Last night I had an awesome session. Coincidence? I used to think so, but the numbers make a compelling case that there may be more to it than that. Here are my current delta totals, aggregated by weekday:

Sun: 43,067
Mon: 262,909
Tue: -10,877
Wed: 1,074,137
Thu: 28,736
Fri: 403,936
Sat: -75,819

Wednesday more than doubles its nearest competitor. Wednesday isn't that far from doubling all the other days of the week combined. In short, Wednesday obliterates the field. I've been trying to figure out why this might be. The best reason I can come up with is that mentally, I'm in more of a comfort zone on Wednesdays than on any other day of the week. A mind in its comfort zone operates more efficiently, is less distracted, and perhaps most importantly, is more optimistic. Poker requires optimism, albeit intelligent optimism.

On the penultimate hand of the session, I more than doubled up. On the turn, I faced a huge bet from an opponent who almost assuredly had a straight. I had a set; I knew I was some sort of an underdog, but had a hunch the river card would pair one of the other board cards, giving me a full house and the monster pot. Accordingly, I called. My hunch paid off; my tens full of sevens won the $103,400 pot. I called it a night the very next hand, of course. I then used my homegrown poker odds calculator to find out how big a dog I'd been; it was pretty bad. My chances of winning had been a mere 21%. What can I say? I heard the call of the luck!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 90 hands and saw flop:
- 15 out of 18 times while in big blind (83%)
- 18 out of 21 times while in small blind (85%)
- 35 out of 51 times in other positions (68%)
- a total of 68 out of 90 (75%)
Pots won at showdown - 15 of 24 (62%)
Pots won without showdown - 4

delta: $69,900
balance: $1,814,831

1 comment:

  1. Hey Neo,
    Although your equity in the hand was 23% against a straight, it is unwise to "put" your opponent on exact hands, unless you have a terrific read on them, or there were four-to-a-straight. Anyhow, you're forgetting implied odds, which is the chance you win another bet from your opponent when you hit. In this case, it was very likely your opponent would call a raise on the river if he indeed had a straight, so as long as his turn bet wasn't twice the pot or more, you could make the call profitably. Good luck!
    Thanks,
    Al

    ReplyDelete