Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Horrendous river bet

You might think, given the title of this post, that I hit the felt last night. Actually, I had a great session. I was the beneficiary of a horrendous river bet made by one of my opponents. The opponent in question had flopped a stealth two pair, and decided to go all in with them on the river; trouble was, the board at that point showed four non-contiguous cards to a straight, and I had the fifth card. The board hadn't paired, so there was no possibility of a full house. There's no reason on earth why anyone with only two pairs should ever bet the river that way. It guarantees that you'll maximize what you can lose, and minimize what you can win. I won the $63,400 pot, and knew I wouldn't be playing too much longer.

On the penultimate hand of the night, I hit a stealth two pair on the turn, bet the pot, and won without a showdown. Stealth two pairs can be bet heavily on the flop or the turn, but should never be bet heavily on the river. That's my newest poker rule!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 24 hands and saw flop:
- 4 out of 5 times while in big blind (80%)
- 3 out of 5 times while in small blind (60%)
- 12 out of 14 times in other positions (85%)
- a total of 19 out of 24 (79%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 9 (44%)
Pots won without showdown - 2

delta: $40,500
balance: $1,682,089

No comments:

Post a Comment