Thursday, June 30, 2011

A richer skill mixture

Poker combines skill and luck. Different variants of poker use different mixtures of these two essential components. Having won and lost mountains of chips playing no limit hold'em, it's my belief that there's a much greater percentage of luck in this poker variant than in pot limit hold'em. In no limit, no matter how skilled you are, essentially you'll be at the mercy of luck if you're playing at a table with a lot of reckless players. In pot limit, since there's a cap on the damage the reckless players can do, there's a much greater chance for skill to win out.

I don't enjoy the feeling of being at the mercy of luck. Frankly, it sucks. On the other hand, I love the feeling of knowing my card sense will let me consistently win more than I lose, over the long haul. I have never gone all in pre flop, and never will. For all intents and purposes, there's no skill involved in that. My favorite way to win is by calling a big-betting opponent all the way down.

Last night, the biggest pot I won was worth $36,400; my trip queens beat a two pair of aces and queens. I called it all the way down.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 88 hands and saw flop:
- 14 out of 17 times while in big blind (82%)
- 11 out of 17 times while in small blind (64%)
- 38 out of 54 times in other positions (70%)
- a total of 63 out of 88 (71%)
Pots won at showdown - 10 of 16 (62%)
Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $14,500
balance: $1,507,710

No comments:

Post a Comment