Saturday, June 11, 2011

Two slim fatties

Regular readers of this blog know that I enjoy coining poker neologisms. Anyone who's in the business of coining neologisms will end up at some point "inventing" something someone else has already invented. The philosophical question for the day is: did the latecomer to the coinage have an original thought or not? This question has no definitive answer. It's akin to the famous question, "If a tree falls in the forest with nobody within earshot, does it make a sound?". I think one can argue such questions equally convincingly from both sides.

My putative poker neologism is "fatty". What I mean by a fatty is a full house. Of course, "fatty" is well-known existing slang for a bunch of other, non-poker-related things. The most common one I'm aware of is a very thick marijuana cigarette. I think the analogy is apt, poker-wise. A full house is a very thick poker hand; it's stuffed to bursting with relevant cards. In fact, though a full house is less rare than a four of a kind, it feels "fatter" to me than a four of a kind. Why? It's simple - the fifth card in a four of a kind can be anything, whereas every single card in a full house matters. Of course, the same could be said of a straight or a flush, but the extra rarity of a full house trumps the "fatness" of those other hands.

Last night, I had two slim fatties. What the hell does he mean by that, I hear you asking yourselves. The answer is simple - twice, I won small pots with full houses. On the first one, my deuces full of eights won a pot worth a whopping $4,200; on the second one, my threes full of eights won a pot worth all of $2,800.

Luckily for me, I won a bunch of larger pots with hands which were far inferior to those two fatties!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 103 hands and saw flop:
- 14 out of 20 times while in big blind (70%)
- 14 out of 20 times while in small blind (70%)
- 41 out of 63 times in other positions (65%)
- a total of 69 out of 103 (66%)
Pots won at showdown - 8 of 15 (53%)
Pots won without showdown - 13

delta: $23,800
balance: $1,874,272

No comments:

Post a Comment