Thursday, June 2, 2011

High end plussed

Last night, my mini winning streak came to a crashing halt. What made hitting the felt extra tough to take was that I lost the last hand to an insufferable prick who'd been trying to bait people all night long. He'd been bragging and congratulating himself all night, and denigrating everyone else. When he won the hand that took me to the felt, his comment was "Buh Buh Buh BANG!!!!!". My reply was: "did anyone ever mention you're kind of an a s s h o l e ?"

On the hand in question, I got high end plussed. Here's what I mean by that: when the board has four cards to a straight which are all in a row, there's one way to fill the low end of the straight, but there are actually two ways to fill the high end. The common way to fill the high end is by holding a card which is one higher than the highest board card which is part of the draw. A much rarer way to fill the high end is by holding the card just mentioned and also holding a card which is one higher than that card. The high end plus straight doesn't use the lowest board card which is part of the straight draw, and beats the normal high end straight. I went all in on the turn, when I made a normal high end straight.

I wrote a utility tonight to determine the odds at the turn that my opponent had a hand which could beat mine. The answer: 3.64%. That, folks, is a bad beat. There's absolutely nothing you can do about situations like that. They'll happen to you periodically. I don't feel bad about going all in; I'd do the same thing in that situation every time.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 117 hands and saw flop:
- 11 out of 12 times while in big blind (91%)
- 7 out of 17 times while in small blind (41%)
- 43 out of 88 times in other positions (48%)
- a total of 61 out of 117 (52%)
Pots won at showdown - 11 of 18 (61%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $-40,000
balance: $1,808,117

No comments:

Post a Comment