Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hoarding impatience

There's a symbiotic relationship between patience and impatience at the poker table, at least for me. The more patient I am in the present, the less patient I'm apt to be in the future. Perhaps this means I only have the capacity for a finite amount of patience, and when it's used up, my impatience comes flaring to the fore! A different way to look at it is that when I'm being patient, I'm actually saving up (i.e., hoarding) impatience for a future splurge. I hope that's not actually the case, but I'm not sure.

Last night, I didn't see a flop until the seventh hand, which is quite possibly a session-opening record for me. There was a lot of action at the table, and I wasn't getting any hands that merited the price to see the flop. Eventually I saw some flops, and won some pots. At its peak, my stack hit $50K on the nose.

I hit the felt on a hand where I went all in preflop with a king queen offsuit. My opponent had a suited ace queen. I was a 24% dog at that point, but then caught a king on the flop, which made me a 68% favorite. After the turn, I was a whopping 84% favorite. It was not to be, however; my opponent caught a jack to complete a straight.

I'm fairly sure if I hadn't hoarded so much impatience earlier, I wouldn't have gone all in on the hand, but you never know. The only way to get anywhere in poker is by going all in at appropriate times; it's just devilishly difficult to know when those appropriate times are! That difficulty is one of the reasons poker is such a great game, and one of the reasons why I love it so much.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 69 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 11 times while in big blind (72%)
- 7 out of 11 times while in small blind (63%)
- 31 out of 47 times in other positions (65%)
- a total of 46 out of 69 (66%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 13 (23%)
Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $-40,000
balance: $1,593,943

No comments:

Post a Comment