Saturday, July 13, 2013

Beware the counterfeit, my son

Good poker consists as much in not doing what you shouldn't do as it does in doing what you should do. Last night, I played quite well with one glaring exception; at that decision point, I did what I shouldn't have done. Keep in mind that I'm talking about a perfectly cut and dried situation here. It wasn't a case of doing something I maybe shouldn't do; it was a case of doing something I categorically and unequivocally should never do. Here's what happened: I was dealt Ad 7d, the flop came Js As 4d, and the turn came 7h. I bet $10,000 on the turn, and got one caller. The river came Jd. Here's where I made my bloomer. I should have taken into account that the pair of jacks on the board counterfeited my pair of sevens. I knew that one of my opponent's cards must be an ace, or he wouldn't have bet the way he had. That meant that the turn card had given both of us a two pair of aces and jacks. That meant that this hand came down to his kicker vs. my kicker. If his kicker was better than a seven, I was toast. The correct play for me to make on the river was a check fold; that is, I should have checked, and folded to any bet he made. Instead, I had the stupidity to bet $20,000 on the river. He raised to $23,540 to go all in, and I called. His queen kicker kicked the crap out of my seven, and I lost a pot worth $82,280, half of which was my money. My stealth two pair on the turn had given me a fatal false sense of invincibility, and I didn't do the proper due diligence on the river to make the correct poker decision. Live and learn!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 158 hands and saw flop:
 - 18 out of 27 times while in big blind (66%)
 - 20 out of 26 times while in small blind (76%)
 - 54 out of 105 times in other positions (51%)
 - a total of 92 out of 158 (58%)
 Pots won at showdown - 13 of 28 (46%)
 Pots won without showdown - 11

delta: $-31,971
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,740,384
balance: $7,097,337

No comments:

Post a Comment