Friday, July 19, 2013

A failure to listen

The most dangerous mistake a poker player can make is not to listen. What is there to hear? Plenty, and none of it has to be words. Players communicate with each other via their bets. It's vitally important to listen to what a player is telling you by the size of his bets. The larger the bet, the more carefully you need to listen. Last night, I failed to listen in one crucial instance. I'd hit trip kings on the flop, and an opponent went all in when a queen showed up on the turn. I was too stubborn to fold. He turned over a pair of pocket queens for a full house of queens full of kings. I lost $44,702 on the hand, leaving me with only $8,158. I hit the felt a mere eight hands later. If I had taken the time to think things through logically, I would have realized my hand was beaten. The problem is, if you don't listen, you don't bother thinking :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 67 hands and saw flop:
 - 5 out of 9 times while in big blind (55%)
 - 7 out of 9 times while in small blind (77%)
 - 25 out of 49 times in other positions (51%)
 - a total of 37 out of 67 (55%)
 Pots won at showdown - 3 of 9 (33%)
 Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $-40,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,687,253
balance: $7,044,206

No comments:

Post a Comment