Thursday, April 25, 2013

The exploding hand

The mark of a truly great poker player is the ability to lay down aces. By that standard, I'm not great yet. I haven't done the research, but know that when I do, I'll probably only find a couple of times when I've laid down aces, in the 112 chances I've had since I started auto-saving the hand histories. Last night, I had another chance, and failed. This failure cost me $40,600 and caused me to hit the felt. Aces, aka pocket rockets, are truly the exploding hand. They can explode on your opponents, but they can also explode on you. You have to be really careful with them; the thing you really have to guard against is the feeling of invulnerability they can give you. There's no better illustration of the volatile nature of aces than the fact that they are the hand I've won the most money with, and also the hand I've lost the most money with. I've won $1,173,920 with aces, and lost $416,003 with them.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 132 hands and saw flop:
 - 19 out of 27 times while in big blind (70%)
 - 14 out of 24 times while in small blind (58%)
 - 40 out of 81 times in other positions (49%)
 - a total of 73 out of 132 (55%)
 Pots won at showdown - 12 of 26 (46%)
 Pots won without showdown - 18

delta: $-24,450
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,751,626
balance: $7,201,034

No comments:

Post a Comment