Friday, February 1, 2013

Shooting the moon

Last night, I had my fifth losing session in a row. If I lose tonight, it'll tie my longest cash game no limit hold'em losing streak. On the last hand of the night, I flopped a nut flush draw. I decided to call an all in bet, when someone acting ahead of me had already called it. Why did I call? I had a hunch I'd hit my flush. I knew I wasn't making the mathematically correct play, but felt like trying to shoot the moon anyway. I just ran the numbers, and ironically, it turns out I actually did make the mathematically correct play. Since I'd gone all in against two other players, I would have tripled up had I won. In order for such a play to pay off over the long haul, I'd need to have had a better than one in three chance of winning the pot. I actually had a 37.43% chance of winning, though there was no way I could have known that at the time.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 89 hands and saw flop:
 - 9 out of 13 times while in big blind (69%)
 - 10 out of 13 times while in small blind (76%)
 - 36 out of 63 times in other positions (57%)
 - a total of 55 out of 89 (61%)
 Pots won at showdown - 4 of 15 (26%)
 Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $-40,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,038,703
balance: $6,488,111

No comments:

Post a Comment