Sunday, April 15, 2012

A failure to protect

Last night, my gains of the session before were almost completely wiped out. I hit the felt twice. The first time, I was dealt a big slick, and ended up going all in with it pre-flop. I was up against an ace jack and an ace ten, and lost when the ace jack paired his jack on the flop. The second time, I made a full house on the turn, but lost to a better full house which was made on the river. I made two horrendous mistakes on this hand. The first mistake was that I failed to protect my full house by going all in. I merely raised a $1,400 bet up to $2,800, which allowed my opponent to get to see the river card way too cheaply. The second mistake was not mucking my hand when my opponent bet huge on the river. I knew he most likely had an ace, which would give him a better full house than mine, but somehow couldn't stop myself from calling.

Of the two mistakes, the first one is arguably worse, since it enabled the possibility for the second one to occur. If I'd protected my full house by going all in, in all likelihood my opponent would have folded, and I would have won the pot right there. Live and learn!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 61 hands and saw flop:
- 7 out of 9 times while in big blind (77%)
- 4 out of 9 times while in small blind (44%)
- 22 out of 43 times in other positions (51%)
- a total of 33 out of 61 (54%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 6 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $-80,000
balance: $4,137,880

No comments:

Post a Comment