Wednesday, November 23, 2011

yaps: agoal

In the world of computing (specifically, the world of unix computing), there's a utility called yacc. yacc stands for "yet another compiler compiler". The self-deprecatory nature of this acronym has inspired me to come up with a like-minded neo neo (neostreet neologism) - yaps. yaps stands for "yet another poker statistic". I was inspired to come up with a new statistic when I looked at the bar chart of my stack size over the course of last night's session. What immediately jumped out was that the losses were all small, while some of the gains were quite big. I recently likened this desirable disparity to "taking the stairs to the elevator". The new stat, which I'm dubbing agoal, provides the ability to quantify just how "stairs to the elevator"-y a session is. Here's the formula, stunning in both simplicity and beauty:

agoal (average gain over average loss) = average_gain / average_loss

My agoal last night was a robust 5.8. Not having computed agoal on any other sessions yet, I can only give you my poker player's hunch as to what constitutes a good agoal value; my hunch is that it's at least 5.

Since it's always good to have goals, I hereby declare that my next goal is to hit the 3 million play money mark by President's Day.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 64 hands and saw flop:
- 6 out of 8 times while in big blind (75%)
- 7 out of 9 times while in small blind (77%)
- 25 out of 47 times in other positions (53%)
- a total of 38 out of 64 (59%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 7 (57%)
Pots won without showdown - 6

delta: $20,550
balance: $2,707,385

No comments:

Post a Comment