Saturday, November 5, 2011

Medicine

If you want to be successful at poker, you have to learn how to take your medicine. Sometimes, even though you've made all the right decisions, you still end up losing. Of course, this is frustrating, but you can't let it become debilitating. Possibly the most valuable lesson of poker, and certainly one which it teaches over and over again, is that the improbable happens. Last night, I hit the felt when I got sevened - that is, I lost to a 7% underdog. I had a 79% chance of winning the hand, and a 14% chance of tying, yet still lost.

Did I swear out loud when this happened? No. Did I swear in my head? Again, no. I've played enough poker to know that this kind of thing happens. It's old hat. I'm on the right side of such improbability often enough to realize I have no cause for complaining when I'm on the wrong side of it.

I reupped for the max at the same table, and played roughly even poker for the rest of the night. Tonight, I'm loaded for bear!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 176 hands and saw flop:
- 19 out of 25 times while in big blind (76%)
- 23 out of 27 times while in small blind (85%)
- 96 out of 124 times in other positions (77%)
- a total of 138 out of 176 (78%)
Pots won at showdown - 14 of 30 (46%)
Pots won without showdown - 18

delta: $-38,950
balance: $2,435,742

No comments:

Post a Comment