Friday, November 4, 2011

Anticipatory betting

When you don't have a hand yet, but think you might end up with one, it's a good idea to make a bet. If you make a hand, you'll have that much more money in the pot to win. If you don't make one, you can still win if your opponents interpret your bets as representative of a strong hand. It's important, having led the betting in an earlier betting round, to make continuation bets if no one else decides to bet. Unless someone is sandbagging you, you'll increase your chances of winning the pot by doing so. People are more likely to believe you have something if you're willing to keep betting.

On the penultimate hand of last night's session, I ended up stealing the pot without really trying to; I was dealt a suited ace eight, and picked up a flush draw on the flop. I led the betting on the flop and the turn, and the only person who went to the river with me folded before I could even put down a bet. I didn't make my flush, but it didn't matter. I actually felt sort of guilty about winning that hand! I think that's the first time I've ever won a pot like that. It was worth $14,200; 73% of it was o.p.m. (other people's money).

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 66 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 12 times while in big blind (66%)
- 9 out of 13 times while in small blind (69%)
- 25 out of 41 times in other positions (60%)
- a total of 42 out of 66 (63%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 8 (62%)
Pots won without showdown - 9

delta: $12,600
balance: $2,474,692

No comments:

Post a Comment