Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Underwater percentage

Last night's session inspired me to come up with another poker stat. I call this one the underwater percentage; that is, the percentage of times when your stack at the start of a hand is below its original amount. The most impressive underwater percentage for a winning session of the ones I've computed so far comes from the session I played the Saturday before last, when fully 120 of the 122 hands I played started with my stack underwater, for 98.36%. Last night, I was underwater for 76 of 85 hands, or 89.41%.

It's not a particularly meaningful stat, but it's still kind of fun to look at. The bigger the number, the more you have to be proud of, or thankful for, or some combination of the two. The thing is, you have to expect to be playing underwater the majority of the time; that's just the nature of poker. You have to wait your turn to win, and while you're waiting, you're underwater. It's certainly nothing to worry about.

On the penultimate hand of last night's session, I won a pot worth $19,000 with two pair, sixes and fours.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 85 hands and saw flop:
- 16 out of 19 times while in big blind (84%)
- 14 out of 19 times while in small blind (73%)
- 35 out of 47 times in other positions (74%)
- a total of 65 out of 85 (76%)
Pots won at showdown - 9 of 16 (56%)
Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $6,750
balance: $2,099,760

No comments:

Post a Comment