Saturday, April 30, 2011

Chips on my right

I've mentioned before in this blog about my criteria for choosing a table. I realize I inadvertently left out my criterion for picking a seat at the table. It must be the one with the most chips to its immediate right. As many others before me have pointed out, chips at a poker table tend to travel clockwise, following the movement of the dealer button. When there's a big stack at a table, you can be in a world of hurt if you're sitting to its right, but you could have big bucks in your future is you're sitting to its left. The simple reason is that for each circuit of the dealer button around the table, you'll be able to act after the big stack on every hand but one if you're on its left, but the big stack will have this same advantage if you're on its right. Acting after an opponent is an incredible advantage to have; you're in a position of power because you have more information when it's your turn to act. Of course, this is poker 101, but it doesn't hurt to repeat the basic truths of this wonderful sport.

One of the reasons I hit the felt two sessions ago was that I was on the wrong side of the big stack, and I let that fact get to me. I wanted to put that big stack in his place so badly that I jumped the gun, and tried to do it under the wrong circumstances.

Last night, everything went right for me in a short but very sweet session. I picked a seat just to the left of a string of good-sized stacks, kept getting dealt some premium hands, and kept winning with them. After winning my seventh out of twelve hands, I accidentally hit the "Sit Out" button, then took stock and decided it was a great time to call it a night. My balance hit another all-time high, as it crossed yet another $100,000 boundary. Life is good!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 12 hands and saw flop:
- 1 out of 2 times while in big blind (50%)
- 2 out of 2 times while in small blind (100%)
- 5 out of 8 times in other positions (62%)
- a total of 8 out of 12 (66%)
Pots won at showdown - 2 of 2 (100%)
Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $119,300
balance: $1,430,236

No comments:

Post a Comment