Friday, April 1, 2011

The imp of the perverse

Wednesday night, I lost a ton of chips. $80K worth, to be precise. The maximum starting stake at two consecutive tables. Both hands that I rode to the felt, I had no business going all in on. What's more, I knew as I was going all in that I had no business doing it -- both times. Edgar Allan Poe called such behavior "the imp of the perverse".

Each all in disobeyed one of my poker rules. The first one disobeyed the rule, "Never go all in on a two pair". The second one disobeyed the rule, "Never go all in on a draw". Even though I gave in to the imp of the perverse, I'm not getting down on myself; actually, part of me is kind of proud that I had the nerve to go all in in these situations. You need nerve in poker, and you can't easily acquire it; it's much simpler just to have it in the first place :-) Without nerve, I'd never have been able to win some of the big pots I've won.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 85 hands and saw flop:
- 9 out of 13 times while in big blind (69%)
- 11 out of 15 times while in small blind (73%)
- 45 out of 57 times in other positions (78%)
- a total of 65 out of 85 (76%)
Pots won at showdown - 6 of 15 (40%)
Pots won without showdown - 6

delta: $-80,000
balance: $952,384

No comments:

Post a Comment