Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The sniff test

Betting patterns in poker are the stories we poker players try to tell each other. Not all such stories pass the sniff test. Some just don't smell right. Last night, on the penultimate hand of the session, I more than doubled up by following my nose. I'd been dealt a king queen off, and made a pair of kings - top pair - on the flop. An opponent made a strong bet, which I called. I figured he had pocket aces or a king, and my hole cards were plenty good enough to stay in the hand. An inconsequential card hit on the turn, and he made a continuation bet. I called. The river was another king. At that point, he made a large bet of $17,000. That made no sense to me whatsoever. If he didn't have a king, it would be suicidal to bet into someone who did. If he did have a king, his big bet would scare off everyone else except for someone else who also had one, so he'd potentially be losing some value. It smelled like he was desperately trying to induce me to fold. I called. He turned over ace jack offsuit; my three of a kind kings beat his pair of kings, and I raked in a pot worth $70,400.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 47 hands and saw flop:
 - 7 out of 7 times while in big blind (100%)
 - 4 out of 6 times while in small blind (66%)
 - 28 out of 34 times in other positions (82%)
 - a total of 39 out of 47 (82%)
 Pots won at showdown - 6 of 13 (46%)
 Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $32,300
balance: $4,615,684

No comments:

Post a Comment