Monday, June 25, 2012

The downside of longevity

Last night, I had a long session. The majority of long sessions are losing ones, and last night's was no exception. I finally hit the felt on hand 91. My stack reached its peak of $56,200 early in the session, on hand 26. I couldn't bring myself to quit at that point. My biggest loss came on hand 36, when my stack went from $47,060 all the way down to $23,460, a loss of $23,600. I still couldn't bring myself to quit when I got back briefly into the black on hand 50.

The downside of longevity is that by outlasting players, you end up facing new players. The new players won't play in the same style as the old ones, so you'll have to be constantly adjusting your style. If the old players showed you a lot of respect, you'll have to be extra careful; since the new players haven't seen you play, they won't give you any respect at first. If they're heavy bettors, you can call yourself right out of the game in a vain attempt to preserve the respect your play gained you earlier from now-departed players. That's essentially what happened to me at the tail end of last night's session.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 91 hands and saw flop:
 - 9 out of 13 times while in big blind (69%)
 - 7 out of 13 times while in small blind (53%)
 - 35 out of 65 times in other positions (53%)
 - a total of 51 out of 91 (56%)
 Pots won at showdown - 7 of 16 (43%)
 Pots won without showdown - 4

delta: $-40,000
balance; $4,524,578

No comments:

Post a Comment