Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Failure to see a turn signal

The turn is very often a pivotal street in hold'em. Players frequently make big moves at the pot on the turn. That's one kind of turn signal. There's another kind; last night, I hit the felt because I failed to see it. It's the most basic poker signal of all - what the community cards will support. Any player who hopes to succeed reads this signal religiously each and every street. I realize why I failed to do that on my final hand last night, and will redouble my efforts to prevent such failures in the future.

There were actually two separate, contributing factors to my failure:

1. I was overly concerned with ensuring that I had the top pair
2. I was trying to teach an obnoxious player a lesson

After the turn, I was actually drawing dead, since my opponent had hit a flush. I was first to act. Failing to notice that the board would support a flush, I went all in, and he happily called. The lesson turned out to be for me :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 58 hands and saw flop:
 - 10 out of 10 times while in big blind (100%)
 - 9 out of 11 times while in small blind (81%)
 - 23 out of 37 times in other positions (62%)
 - a total of 42 out of 58 (72%)
 Pots won at showdown - 2 of 12 (16%)
 Pots won without showdown - 9

delta: $-40,000
balance: $4,598,662


No comments:

Post a Comment