Monday, August 2, 2010

Inexplicall

On Saturday night, I made a play so egregiously bad that it's taken me all this time to decide on an appropriate title for this post. Two candidates I considered and rejected:

Nothing or double
Zero call

I decided I needed to memorialize my idiotic play with a neologism, so here it is -- the inexplicall. That's when you inexplicably call a big bet which you have absolutely no business calling. It can be used either as a noun or as a verb. I invite readers to use it, with or without attribution.

First, a little background: I lost my full starting stack of $40K at the first table I joined, in much the same fashion as I'd lost it the session before -- namely, a slow but steady descent. I joined a second table, and almost immediately went up about $33K. I should have quit right then, but didn't. I still had a healthy $51K at the start of the Inexplicall hand. I was dealt a big slick, and the flop came 6h Jc 4c. Someone bet $35,600 to go all in, and shockingly, I inexplicalled; that put me all in as well. The turn was a 6 and the river was a 3; my pair of sixes lost to two pair, queens and sixes. I'm pretty sure $51K is the largest amount I've ever lost on a single hand. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Realizing how stupid I was won't stop me from playing again, however (nor will it stop me from making the occasional inexplicall, I'm afraid :-)

delta $-80,000
balance: $772,350

No comments:

Post a Comment