Saturday, August 28, 2010

The catbird seat

After three sessions of Omaha, I think the way to maximize your winnings is to bet heavily when you're in the catbird seat. Of course, this good advice is close to useless, since it requires you to know when you're in the catbird seat. To know that, you must already have attained a high level of expertise in the game. Stripped to the essentials, my advice becomes, "to be good at Omaha, get good at Omaha"!

My last hand of the night, even an Omaha neophyte like me was able to realize I was in the catbird seat. I was dealt 8s Ac Ks Ad, and the flop came Jc 6s As. Not only did I have a strong hand in my set of aces, I was drawing to the much stronger hand of a nut flush. I ended up going all in; the flush hit on the river, and I raked in a pot worth $5,790. That was a great outcome, especially as I'd hit the felt at the first table I joined.

By the way, I discovered I don't need to do any programming in order to be able to preserve my Omaha hand histories -- from the PokerStars FAQ, I learned that there are play money Omaha tables on the .com site; they're available below the real money Omaha games in the Omaha tab, instead of having their own separate play money tab like the play money Hold'em games on the site.

delta: $1,710
balance: $1,046,282

No comments:

Post a Comment