Monday, August 23, 2010

Poker whimsy

Almost from the moment I first heard it, I've had a disliking and distrust of the term "bad beat". I find many things about it objectionable, and just plain wrong. The chief among them, and the most egregious, is its implicit condemnation of luck. That's biting the hand that feeds you, plain and simple. Without luck, wonderful, glorious luck, no one would ever fill an inside straight, complete a flush, or hit for a full house. You can't assume that the luck which helps you is your due, or that the luck which hurts you is unfair. You can't pick and choose when luck will appear, or whether it will be good or bad for you. Luck just is.

When I experience what others might call a "bad beat", I call it "poker whimsy" instead. Last night, I hit the felt at the first table I joined due to poker whimsy; on my last hand at that table, I went all in when I hit a straight on the turn, only to lose to a flush, which had also hit on the turn. I recovered nicely and recorded a healthy gain at the next table I joined.

delta: $33,542
balance: $964,324

No comments:

Post a Comment