Friday, August 27, 2010

Hold'em is from Mars, Omaha is from Venus

Already, after only two sessions of Omaha, I can see that it's an immensely more subtle game than Hold'em, and therefore potentially immensely more satisfying. I feel like I've been playing a kid's game for the better part of two years, and now I've discovered a different game which requires exponentially more maturity and expertise. I wonder how anyone who masters Omaha could ever go back to Hold'em. I'll have to try to find out. If I ever mastered Omaha, I don't think I'd be able to go back to Hold'em; it would be like trying to enjoy Tic Tac Toe after you've mastered chess.

Last night, I was a folding machine at the first table I joined, until I finally got impatient and hit the felt on a hand which I stubbornly wouldn't give up on. I'd noticed that the level of aggression at the table was very high, and thought I could turn it to my advantage; the problem was, I didn't (and still don't) have a good feel for Omaha probabilities. At the next table I joined, everyone was playing relatively tight compared to the first table, which was fine with me; I was able to recover my losses and get back into the black again. My last hand of the night, I won a pot worth $4,940 with three of a kind, nines.

delta: $2,713
balance: $1,044,572

No comments:

Post a Comment