Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Triple pox

Last night, my session was undone when I ran into a cooler at the end. I call the situation I found myself in "triple pocks", which sounds like "triple pox" for good reason. I'll use the two phrases interchangeably.  "Triple pox" is when three of the players at the table have all been dealt a pocket pair. You want to avoid "triple pox" like the plague, since you're likely to be in a coin flip situation at best, and drawing seriously thin at worst. The trouble is, you'll never know you're in "triple pox" until it's much too late to do anything about it. Very often, one of the three players will go all in preflop, and the other two are almost certain to call. Last night, on the hand in question, I'd been dealt pocket jacks. One of my opponents had been dealt pocket queens, and another had been dealt pocket aces. What really did me in was that the opponent who'd been dealt rockets had been betting way too frequently, and I figured he had a whole lot of nothing. I was a 14.69% dog, the player with pocket queens was a 17.51% dog, and the player with the rockets was a 67.36% favorite. The rockets held up. I got curious about how often "triple pox" situations arise, so I wrote a utility to do the tabulation on my historical data. In 24,110 hands, "triple pox" has come up a mere 26 times.

I recognize that I'm in another poker slump, and hope to break out of it tonight.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 139 hands and saw flop:
 - 16 out of 18 times while in big blind (88%)
 - 11 out of 18 times while in small blind (61%)
 - 62 out of 103 times in other positions (60%)
 - a total of 89 out of 139 (64%)
 Pots won at showdown - 8 of 18 (44%)
 Pots won without showdown - 15

delta: $-50,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,196,997
balance: $9,254,700

No comments:

Post a Comment