Thursday, June 5, 2014

The loneliest pot

Last night, I only won one pot. It happened early on, on hand 2. I got curious about how I've fared in sessions like that, so I ran the numbers. In 704 sessions of cash game no limit hold'em poker, I've won a single pot 21 times. 19 of those were winning sessions. Here are details of the two losing ones:

date        hands pots_won_at_showdown pots_won_without_showdown   delta
2014-06-04     29                    0                         1  -50000
2013-01-08     20                    1                         0  -40000


This made me wonder what would qualify as the loneliest pot of my career. I decided it would have to be the won pot with the most adjacent losing hands on either side of it, where counting stops when either side runs into a won pot. For instance, a won pot preceded by 1 losing hand and followed by 50 losing hands would be considered less lonely than a won pot preceded by 2 losing hands and followed by 2 losing hands, since the nearest won pot in the first case is only 2 hands away but in the second case is 3 hands away. It's virtually certain that my won pot of last night's session isn't my loneliest pot, since it happened on hand 2, very close to a prior won pot from the session before. At some point, I'll write a program to determine the "winner" :-) My guess is that my loneliest pot will be about 20 hands away from its nearest neighbor.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 29 hands and saw flop:
 - 2 out of 3 times while in big blind (66%)
 - 1 out of 4 times while in small blind (25%)
 - 8 out of 22 times in other positions (36%)
 - a total of 11 out of 29 (37%)
 Pots won at showdown - 0 of 3 (0%)
 Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $-50,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $6,289,838
balance: $9,347,541

No comments:

Post a Comment