Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The wrong price

Poker players are always looking for the right price. That's shorthand for the right price to call. You have the right price to call when the pot odds are better than the inverse of your odds of having the best hand. There's a flip side to this coin, however. When you're ahead in the hand, it's incumbent on you to give your opponents the wrong price. If you don't, they're liable to come along for the ride, and if they do, they could outdraw you. That's what happened to me on just the second hand of last night's session. Since I lost $49,500 on it, I decided to make it my last hand. Here's how it went down: I was dealt cowboys (a pair of kings). I hit a set on the turn, and bet $10,000 into a pot of $28,000. That meant that an opponent calling my bet would be getting nearly 4-1 pot odds. That's just too juicy for a lot of players to pass up, even when they should know better. As it turned out, I was up against an opponent with an open-ended straight draw. He only had a 1 in 5 chance of winning, but hit the low end to make his straight on the river. I actually did two things wrong on this hand:

1. I didn't give him the wrong price to call on the turn (or, perhaps more accurately, a "wrong enough price")
2. I failed to realize the river card put a straight draw into play

I'm sure I set a personal "best" for losing a starting stack in the minimum number of hands :)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 2 hands and saw flop:
 - 0 out of 0 times while in big blind (0%)
 - 0 out of 0 times while in small blind (0%)
 - 2 out of 2 times in other positions (100%)
 - a total of 2 out of 2 (100%)
 Pots won at showdown - 0 of 1 (0%)
 Pots won without showdown - 0

 delta: $-50,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,066,160
balance: $7,423,113


No comments:

Post a Comment