Tuesday, October 1, 2013

You were never shovelier

A "shovely" hand is a lovely hand which is good enough to shove with, in my poker lingo. Shoving is slang for going all in. I can't remember the last time I shoved. Note that calling an opponent's bet with the rest of your chips doesn't qualify as shoving; I'm sure I've done that much more recently. In tournament play, shoves happen much more frequently than they do in cash games, due to the escalating blinds. Last night, on the penultimate hand of the session, an opponent shoved after the flop. I'd been dealt pocket rockets and had hit trips on the flop, so of course I called. The opponent turned over 9 8 offsuit for a lowly pair of nines, and I won a pot worth $41,100. I don't understand how anyone could shove this light in a cash game; all he'd flopped was second pair. Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from accepting the gift. I liked it so much, it inspired me to come up with an additional meaning for "shovely". When we're talking about a hand an opponent has gone all in with, the worse a hand it is, the shovelier it is in my eyes. To that 9 8 offsuit, I say, "You were never shovelier" :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 36 hands and saw flop:
 - 3 out of 5 times while in big blind (60%)
 - 2 out of 5 times while in small blind (40%)
 - 11 out of 26 times in other positions (42%)
 - a total of 16 out of 36 (44%)
 Pots won at showdown - 5 of 5 (100%)
 Pots won without showdown - 2

delta: $24,732
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,047,902
balance: $7,404,855

No comments:

Post a Comment