Monday, October 21, 2013

My preferred betting style

Given my druthers, I prefer to let others do the betting in the first three betting rounds. If someone else makes a big enough bet in those rounds, I just like to call. Of course, that doesn't apply in the final round. The benefit of just calling in the earlier rounds is that none of your opponents will have much of a clue about how strong your hand is. If someone else has been leading the betting, they'll likely continue to lead it in the final round. That's when your strong hands can really pay off. You can double the bet, with a good likelihood of getting called. Since you didn't bet earlier, something doesn't feel quite right about your river raise; there's a good chance (in your opponent's mind) that you're trying to steal the pot.

Last night, on hand 99, I won my biggest pot of the session using just this style. I was dealt pocket jacks, and flopped a set. Here are the betting actions I took:

pre-flop: called a raise to $2,250
flop: checked, then called a $2,500 bet
turn: checked, then called a $6,000 bet
river: checked, then raised a $13,000 bet to $26,000

My full house of jacks full of sevens won a pot worth $81,500, and I was done for the night.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 100 hands and saw flop:
 - 10 out of 12 times while in big blind (83%)
 - 9 out of 14 times while in small blind (64%)
 - 41 out of 74 times in other positions (55%)
 - a total of 60 out of 100 (60%)
 Pots won at showdown - 8 of 15 (53%)
 Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $43,313
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,388,791
balance: $7,745,744

No comments:

Post a Comment