Sunday, October 13, 2013

6max cash a tough nut to crack

I like to think my poker skills favor me to win in many different poker scenarios. There's one scenario, however, which my results prove I haven't mastered. It's 6max cash. That's when you're playing a cash game at a table with only 6 seats. In 1,055 cash game sessions I've played, only 22 of them have been 6max; all the rest have been at 9 player tables. In those 22 6max cash sessions, I've lost a total of $478,995, the bulk of that at the $500/$1000 stakes level. That's an eye-popping number, given my success in other poker flavors.

Last night, I was forced to play at a 6max table, since there were no 9max tables available at my new favorite stakes level ($250/$500). Perhaps not coincidentally, I had a losing session, ending my five session winning streak. I have to admit that 6max cash is a tough nut to crack. I prefer 9max, since it's easier to win. I'm not sure why, but have a couple of theories. One theory is that the 6max tables attract a higher caliber of player. Of course, that theory still begs the question of why. Another theory is that there are only so many poker fish to go around, and there's statistically less chance of meeting them at a 6max table since poker fish tend to gravitate to the 9max tables. Of course, that theory also still begs the question of why.

Of course, just by bringing fish into the discussion, I've opened up another kettle of fish (pun intended). Would I rather play against fish, or against sharks? The answer, I have to admit, is that I'd much rather play against fish. I can hear your objections. "How can that be satisfying?", you ask. "Wouldn't you rather challenge yourself by playing against the best?" I hear you enquire. "How will you ever improve if all you do is play against mediocre players?", you wonder. Those are all valid objections. The only answer I have is that it's much more relaxing to play against fish, and poker should be a relaxing avocation :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 118 hands and saw flop:
 - 20 out of 24 times while in big blind (83%)
 - 14 out of 24 times while in small blind (58%)
 - 46 out of 70 times in other positions (65%)
 - a total of 80 out of 118 (67%)
 Pots won at showdown - 5 of 12 (41%)
 Pots won without showdown - 18

delta: $-29,254
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,189,432
balance: $7,546,385

No comments:

Post a Comment