Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Do repeak yourself

In software engineering, which is my daytime job, there's a principle known as DRY. It stands for "Don't Repeat Yourself". The basic idea is that you don't want to duplicate code anywhere, if you can help it. If code is duplicated, instances of the duplicated code can easily get out of synch with each other. Duplicated code takes up more space, both in memory and on disk, and is much harder to maintain.

In poker, I've come up with an adage which uses the same acronym. What it stands for is quite different, however - "Do repeak yourself". What do I mean by this? Patience, grasshopper :-)

It's a given that your stack will have peaks and valleys over the course of a session. Not only that, it's also a given that your stack will fall more often than it rises, unless you're in the unusual situation of being heads up. What this all adds up to is that the peaks really matter. When you achieve a new peak, you need to decide whether to quit the session right then or play on. There's a lot to be said for both choices.

I never like to quit on an early peak. The main reason is that I play poker partially for entertainment, and quitting early deprives me of it. However, if I ever bring my stack back to an earlier peak, I'm much more likely to quit. That's what happened last night. At the end of hand 31, my stack hit a new peak of $64,761. From there, it started a steady descent. When hand 73 brought it back up to $63,653, I knew I had "repeaked", and that it was time to quit.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 74 hands and saw flop:
 - 7 out of 9 times while in big blind (77%)
 - 3 out of 11 times while in small blind (27%)
 - 27 out of 54 times in other positions (50%)
 - a total of 37 out of 74 (50%)
 Pots won at showdown - 5 of 9 (55%)
 Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $13,653
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,061,027
balance: $7,417,980

No comments:

Post a Comment